Manager, Economic Competitiveness & Energy Initiatives
The Chamber brings area businesses and civic leaders together to promote growth and create opportunity in our region. We support our members with practical, inspiring programs, resources, and events. All that we do serves one clear, bold goal: to make Greater Philadelphia a great place for good business.
We are currently seeking a Manager, Economic Competitiveness and Energy Initiatives. This position is a critical organizational resource as both an internal subject-matter expert and an external relationship manager.
The Chamber recognizes that energy is a catalyst for economic growth and job creation in the region. With a high concentration of energy-producing, energy-related and energy-intensive industrial companies and thought leaders, Greater Philadelphia is uniquely positioned to leverage its abundant, affordable energy resources to power innovation and business growth. To realize this potential, the Chamber engages industry leaders across the energy spectrum to drive an advanced, affordable, diversified, and low-carbon energy economy.
The Manager, Economic Competitiveness reports to the Senior Director, Economic Competitiveness.
The primary purpose of this position is to foster collaboration and create value for Chamber members in the energy and related industries along with leading the associated program of work toward economic competitiveness goals and outcomes.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Lead the energy related industries program of work and its execution reinforcing member engagement and retention, maintaining frequent communications with related members, tracking of interactions with members, elected and appointed officials, developing and managing a budget including shared responsibility for revenue for related events and initiatives.
- Drive the development and execution of the program of work in advocacy and business attraction, retention and expansion efforts in support of the industry sector in collaboration with, and in service to, volunteer leaders and broader membership and investors.
- Manage the development of messaging and subsequent targeted outreach efforts to generate proactive company expansion opportunities in the region in the specialty chemicals sector.
- Establish, develop, and maintain industry relationships and coordinate with outside energy interest groups, associations, and stakeholders to advance the Chamber’s initiatives and goals.
- Oversee an internal cross-functional team to support related member retention and recruitment, marketing and communications, programs, and events related to the industry sector.
- Summarize complex energy topics and policies for Chamber leadership and formulate compelling messaging and materials for the Chamber’s events, initiatives, publications, and policy positions in the sector.
- Track and identify key energy sector trends and policy initiatives.
- Serve as a public representative of the Chamber government, civic, and community events.
- Collaborate with other local and regional organizations working to improve Greater Philadelphia.
- Contribute to Chamber mission through information sharing, collaboration, revenue generation in service to achieving the organization’s goals.
- Complete other duties and projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree with five or more years of experience working in a Chamber, trade association or client service role preferred.
- Proficiencies in MS Office, including Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Experience interacting with C-level leaders and building relationships within the business community.
- Experience overseeing and executing a multi-year program of work and planning and executing meetings that produce tangible outcomes.
- Ability to organize and facilitate constructive idea generation among diverse groups.
- Knowledgeable of the Greater Philadelphia region and its business and political community.
- Eager to learn new things and become a subject-matter expert.
- Client-focused with a collaborative spirit
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects and stakeholders, with flexibility to adjust to changing priorities
- Strategic thinker with an innate curiosity
- A self-starter who is able to work both independently and as part of a team
- Organizational ability and attention to detail
- Diligence in meeting deadlines and ability to work independently and under pressure
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with professional presence, and an outgoing and engaging personality.
- Some travel required for industry trade shows and conferences.
The Chamber provides all the benefits of working for a mid-size business combined with the values and mission focus of a nonprofit. As part of a leading organization in the region’s business community, team members have access to a wide array of resources, connections, and opportunities throughout their career with the Chamber. With 50+ employees, the Chamber is right-sized for new team members to have the support of their talented colleagues, opportunities to lead, and room for personal and professional growth. The Chamber offers its employees a dynamic, fast-paced environment with competitive salaries and an excellent benefits package. Learn more about Chamber culture and benefits.
The Chamber is currently working 100% remotely. Once we return to the office, we will offer flexible working arrangements. On a standard work day, the majority of time is spent sitting at a desk, using the computer and speaking on the phone. However, at times, this role will be required to attend Chamber events or related outside meetings/events on behalf of the Chamber. These meetings/events may take place outside of regular business hours and outside of Center City Philadelphia.
The Chamber of Commerce for Greater Philadelphia is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to building a culturally diverse staff. We strongly encourage applications from candidates of all backgrounds.