Managing Director, Performance Garage
Performance Garage, a non-profit dance center and theater in Philadelphia, in its 21st year of serving the Philadelphia dance community, seeks a dedicated, organized full-time Managing Director. The Performance Garage serves as a home for dance artists and dance making with classes, rehearsals, and intimate performances. As a non-union, non-university affiliated dance center, the Performance Garage serves a distinct need with the ecosystem of dance in Philadelphia by providing professional, affordable, and modern spaces in a restored 1865 horse stable and carriage house just minutes from Philadelphia’s city center.
Reporting to the Artistic Director, this is an exciting opportunity to help shape the future of this growing organization.
Governance and Leadership
- Provide advice and guidance to the PG’s Board of Directors regarding PG’s policies and its Strategic Plan as well as implement these strategies and monitor progress against the organization’s goals.
- Oversee PG’s fundraising plan with the Board and the Development Director. This includes assistance with cultivating/soliciting individual gifts as well as assist in organizing special events and strategies for larger initiatives in collaboration with the Artistic Director.
- Assist with developing additional Board members in collaboration with the Board and the Development Director
- Prepare Board reports for each board meeting.
- Advise on and supervise hiring of staff and independent contractors, including six-month review evaluations of staff in collaboration with the Artistic Director.
- Assist appropriate staff members and the Board’s Finance Committee in preparing annual and special budgets
- Oversight and monitor all financial and accounting activities with the PG Financial Director including bank accounts, grant applications, and audits.Oversee board meeting financial documents as well as yearly reports.
- Manage and write contracts (templates already exist), including all Rental contracts.
- Maintain and keep current the organization’s online SharePoint site, records, files, archives.
- Oversee the building’s conditions as needed such as: cleaning and repairs including HVAC, plumbing, lighting etc. in collaboration with our list of helpful providers.
- Manage our live and in-person programs such as: Rentals and Productions, DanceVisions, YouthMoves, HubChats, DanceFilms and Special Events.
- Represent the Performance Garage to the media, donors, other organizations and the public at large in collaboration with our Board and our PR firm.
- Oversight of our Social Media outlet contractor using: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn and updating our Website (Wix)
- Calendar all operations, programs and activities of Performance Garage
- Provide support to both Board and staff members
Ideal candidate will have an interest in contemporary dance, Bachelor’s degree and a minimum 4 years’ experience in a non-profit cultural setting, particularly in regard to financial management, business management of our programs, and managing employees. Salary Range 65K-70K.
Key skills must include leadership qualities with an attention to detail, excellent writing skills, strong computer skills, good phone manner, the ability to multi-task, and possess an upbeat, ‘can-do’ attitude.
A balance of on-site and remote work best serves this position.
Desired start date November 2021.
Vacation and Health Benefits are part of the compensation package.
Apply by email to email@example.com
Please include cover letter explaining your interest and qualifications, resume, two writing samples (one general business letter and one fundraising solicitation or Board communication) and three references.
No Phone Calls.
Covid vaccination is required.
We are an equal opportunity employer.